Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thursday, February 19, box of food!


My mother in law is ridiculously awesome. My father in law is good too, but M's mom and I get along like peanut butter and jelly. Every so often, she sends us a box of groceries, generally nonperishable things we like but that do not fit into our food budget. This sort of largess has really been what's kept us off food stamps this past year, when things have been even tighter than they are now. Today she sent us a care package full of many awesome things that will go into the food plan for March. 

When she asked what I needed this month, I told her shortbread, pecans, pine nuts, and caffeinated drinks. I have a great weakness for shortbread, but at four dollars a box at Meijer, it's just way too pricey. When the box came today, I opened the shortbread and ate half my share right away. Delicious! The nuts are for the granola recipe I want to try, now all I need are more honey and some dry coconut, which are much cheaper to get. And really, you can drop a few pecans into any baked good and get their weight in delicious. Tea and coffee, of course, are to feed my caffeine addiction. We got some tea tubes, and a pound of really nice looking Panamanian coffee. I can't wait to try it out. 

Today I had nothing for breakfast (I got up early to clean up the muddy footprints an unnamed party left all over the carpet, then went back to bed for a little while), but made up for it with delicious tuna casserole leftovers at lunch. Tonight we're having pot stickers, a box of frozen ones that I found for 2.69 at Aldi this week. I haven't had them in a long time, and it's a nice bit of variety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're commenting on a new post, you can expect your comment to show up immediately. If you're commenting on a post older than 30 days, expect it to sit in moderation for just a little, so I can make sure you're not a spambot.