Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Musicality

From time to time on my blog, I will do reviews of websites I've been asked to look at, sort of like a survey where I share the results with people. I receive compensation for doing these reviews, but they don't tell me what I have to say, or even that I have to say nice things. All the opinions contained herein are entirely my own.

Today's review is kind of an interesting site, it's a site for a course to learn to play piano. I'm not a terribly musical person myself, but I think it would be kind of fun to learn how to play. Back way long time ago my sister Allie took lessons and had a bunch of music books. I knew how to read music, so I looked up what each key was, and learned how to pick out a treble line by poking the keys one at a time. I was terrible at it, but it was kind of fun. As far as I can tell, Beginnerpianocourse.com operates on a much more sophisticated version of the same principal. You learn the keys one at a time, then how to pick out a treble line, then how to add some chords. I've read that it's kind of like the "fake book" method of learning piano, but I don't know enough to be sure. I know that fake books are easier than regular piano, so I do like that. =) 


Seeing as how I am not a piano player, I went for more information to sites where people who do play piano hang out. If I really wanted to learn to play piano, I'd definitely check out knowledgeable reviews before buying any program. The author of the course, for all that she sounds a little like she's reading English phonetically, has apparently written a number of piano-learning programs, and is pretty good. The folks whose reviews I read suggest that someone with a little basic information on playing piano will get more out of the course, but that it's pretty good. I personally have no time whatsoever for the piano or any other new hobbies, but maybe someday. I have to impress upon Robert the importance of music, after all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're commenting on a new post, you can expect your comment to show up immediately. If you're commenting on a post older than 30 days, expect it to sit in moderation for just a little, so I can make sure you're not a spambot.