Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Herb Garden


Church this morning was nice as usual. I really like our new church, everyone is so nice to us, and they all love Robert. Yesterday they had a congregational meeting with food, and they marked some of the leftovers for us, so we had a pan of baked pasta to bring home with us from church. It was delicious and wonderful to have. I think I kind of forgot what it was like to be part of a church until I got involved with one again. I would like to be able to do more, but Robert crimps my volunteering style a bit. That's okay, eventually he'll be old enough to bring along to things. I also found and Facebook-friended a bunch of church people, which is great because I am so lousy with names. Now I have pictures with names attached to look at, yay!

After church, M went to get the oil changed in the car. We weren't supposed to be due for another month, but somehow we're several hundred miles overdue anyway. Oops. Anyway, he got it changed and they also replaced a taillight I didn't even know was out. That reminds me, I need to get to the courthouse this week and get our car re-registered! The last thing we need is a ticket! I'll probably do that on Thursday, I just need to keep reminding myself. We watched Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home  on Netflix on the television, which was fun. It's been a long time since I've seen that, and all the funny lines were funny again. Robert fell asleep in the swing, and took a nice long sorely-needed nap.

While he was napping, I took the opportunity to slip out to Walgreens for my weekly papers and to work a couple of deals. I had fifteen dollars worth of register rewards that would expire day after tomorrow, and I needed to use them up. Register rewards are basically coupon money, they are for dollars off your next transaction, so you can basically pay with them, anything except the tax on your purchase. You don't want to let them expire. Using my register rewards, I got four bottles of low-dose aspirin, two bottles of vitamins, four reusable grocery bags, three bottles of Dawn, four bags of gummy worms, two packs of Walgreens-brand Ding-Dongs, and three Sunday newspapers for $3.87 cash. Not bad, considering I would've paid 3.75 just to buy the papers, even at Walgreens' reduced price. In addition to that, I got 13 more register rewards to use next week! I will probably give the vitamins and the aspirin to the food bank, because I'm sure there is someone who is on aspirin therapy or who could use a Vitamin D supplement, but I don't need them myself.

Later on in the evening, after reading in the paper about Home Depot's special sale today, the three of us headed out all together to get some gardening supplies. I decided that this was how I was going to split the difference on my birthday money, spend it on something that I do very much want, my garden, but that is also good for the family. Today all their vegetable and herb plants in peat pots were buy one get one free, and since they were mostly 3.50 apiece, that's quite a good deal on a healthy plant in a four inch peat pot. I bought sweet basil, greek oregano, cilantro, catnip, lavender, and a watermelon, because I have always wanted to try growing one. I needed a bag of potting soil to put those in, and to freshen up last year's container gardening, and we picked up another 98-cent concrete slab to add to the path leading from the lawn to our door. I also picked up one of those tiny little seed-starter greenhouse things, and some tomato and pepper seeds to start in it. Vegetable seeds were also BOGOF, which was cool, and we got a CFL lightbulb for our living room lamp for 97 cents. Sweet!

When we got home, I decided I wanted to do the gardening right away, and set to work. Robert watched me for a few minutes, but it was getting on towards his bedtime and he lost interest rapidly. M took him inside while I finished and watered everything. It looks really good. After Robert was fed and in bed, I put together the little greenhouse, too. I can't wait to see how everything grows. Man, I am looking forward to some _amazing_ spaghetti sauce this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Feels so good to get the "garden" planted. Save the tomatoes for Mimi.

    ReplyDelete

If you're commenting on a new post, you can expect your comment to show up immediately. If you're commenting on a post older than 30 days, expect it to sit in moderation for just a little, so I can make sure you're not a spambot.