Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tuesday, February 17, Unplanned cooking


The food plan for the first half of this month called for two bunches of bananas. I elected to buy both of them in that first shopping trip, one nearly ripe, and one extremely green. I put them in the refrigerator when they turned yellow, and for the most part it was okay. I did end up with four blackened bananas that neither of us wanted to eat. So today, since I've already got my baking gear out, I decided to use those bananas up in a very simple banana bread. Bananas, little margarine, little sugar, little flour, one egg left over from last week, bit of baking soda and vanilla. Voila! It's still baking right now, but it smells amazing. When it's done, I'll finish the dishes and get to work on tonight's supper. 

I've already started setting the table for tonight, something I rarely do. We almost never eat at the table. But Valentines, even belated, is a special occasion. I'm going to be trying my hand at pasties, one of M's favorite dishes from college, which are little bread pockets full of meat, rutabaga, potatoes, carrots, and other good things. Rutabaga is a very weird-looking vegetable, I must say. But nothing tastes quite like it. 

Update: It's done, and it looks great! It'll be breakfast tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're commenting on a new post, you can expect your comment to show up immediately. If you're commenting on a post older than 30 days, expect it to sit in moderation for just a little, so I can make sure you're not a spambot.